Today is June 1 and we are celebrating all timeless game shows, past and present. National Game Show Day honors one of the oldest and most cherished genres of TV.
Game Shows are watched by millions of Americans every single day and are a staple in most American homes. Viewers can engage by cheering contestants on and playing along from home. National Game Show Day honors vintage and current game shows, their hosts, and the fans of yesterday and today.
Game shows are a specific genre of television where contestants compete, answer questions, or solve puzzles to win prizes. Prizes consist of cash, trips, and some of the most popular consumer products, including electronics, cars, and appliances.
The first TV game show in the U.S. was Truth or Consequences, which began in 1940 and was hosted by Ralph Edwards. The show consisted of contestants being asked to answer trivia questions correctly or face the consequences by performing a zany stunt.
On National Game Show Day, we thought it would be fun to find the most popular game shows of all time. Our top 8 answers are on the board:
1. To Tell the Truth (1956 – 1978; 1980 – 1981; 2000 – 2002; 2016 – Present)
2. Match Game (1962 – 1969; 1973 – 1982; ; 2016 – 2021)
3. Jeopardy! (1964 – 75; 1984 – Present)
4. The Price is Right (1972 – Present)
5. Wheel of Fortune (1975 – Present)
6. The Gong Show (1976 – 1978)
7. Family Feud (1976 – 1985, 1988 – 1995; 1999 – Present)
8. Hollywood Squares (1966 – 1981)
What is the longest-running game show on television? The Price is Right originally aired on TV in 1956, with Bill Cullen as the host. In 1972, the show reintroduced a new host. Bob Barker became the face of The Price is Right and served as host for 35 years, with Drew Carey taking over the reins in 2007. The Price is Right is the longest-running game show in television history, with Carey continuing as host today.
Can I view vintage game shows? Yes! For 8 years BUZZR has been providing broadcasts of vintage game shows from the early 1940s to the late 2000s. The network’s iconic line-up includes Match Game, Family Feud, Press Your Luck, and Supermarket Sweep. Beloved personalities that appear on BUZZR include Betty White, Gene Rayburn, Richard Dawson, Pat Sajak, and Monty Hall.
#NATIONALGAMESHOWDAY CELEBRATION IDEAS
1. Play a vintage game show board game with family and friends.
2. Watch your favorite game on the BUZZR network or one of the BUZZR streaming platforms.
3. Catch special programming on BUZZR to win special prizes.
4. Follow BUZZR social media platforms to play games, interact, and win contests.
5. Share your love for game shows by tagging #NationalGameShowDay on social media.
NATIONAL GAME SHOW DAY FOUNDER
In 2023, National Day Calendar and Fremantle, the parent company of BUZZR, formed a collaboration to create National Game Show Day. Each year on June 1, we honor game shows as one of the oldest TV genres in the U.S.
Fremantle is home to the world’s largest collection of game shows. As the purveyors of the Goodson-Todman library of content, Fremantle produces Family Feud (syndicated) and Celebrity Family Feud on ABC with Steve Harvey. Fremantle also produces Let’s Make A Deal with Wayne Brady, plus television’s longest-running game show, The Price Is Right with Drew Carey for CBS. In recent years, the company has also brought back to television classic hits, such as Press Your Luck, To Tell the Truth, Card Sharks, and Supermarket Sweep for ABC. Recently, Fremantle has re-imagined Password on NBC with host Keke Palmer and ongoing celebrity player Jimmy Fallon. Password was the #1 new unscripted series in 2022.
On June 1, 2015, Fremantle launched BUZZR, the nation’s only network dedicated to vintage game shows. Serving as a time capsule containing decades of retro content, BUZZR’s round-the-clock entertainment includes:
· Match Game, where Gene Rayburn hosts a mad-capped panel of celebrity guests.
· Family Feud with the most affectionate host in history, Richard Dawson.
· Password Plus with a whip-smart Betty White serving as a celebrity contestant.
· Other perennial favorites, such as Classic Concentration, The Newlywed Game, Tattletales, and many more.
Following the launch of the network, Fremantle also expanded BUZZR to the world of FAST, with fan-favorite retro content on all major platforms, including Pluto TV, Samsung TV Plus, The Roku Channel, Freevee, and VIZIO WatchFree+.
Stay connected with BUZZR by following them on any of their social media platforms.