Virtual Event to Air More than 80 Films, Custom Programming and Special Events on TCM and HBO Max
60th Anniversary Screening of West Side Story Opens Festival with Stars Rita Moreno, George Chakiris and Russ Tamblyn
TCM Classic Film Festival will run virtually this year Thursday, May 6 – Sunday, May 9, both on the TCM network. And for the first time within the Classics Curated by TCM Hub on HBO Max. The 12th Annual Festival will open with a 60th-anniversary screening of West Side Story (1961) with stars Rita Moreno, George Chakiris, and Russ Tamblyn giving new and exclusive interviews. This much-anticipated cast reunion will air on TCM and be available on HBO Max simultaneously for opening night on May 6 at 8:00 PM ET.
“We’re thrilled to expand this year’s virtual festival across two platforms – linear and streaming. Our approach gives fans even more movies, stars and unique presentations to choose from,” said Pola Changnon, head of TCM. “The breadth of this festival will offer interest for every kind of classic movie fan – whether they’re new to this world or card-carrying cinephiles!”
This year’s festival will feature four days of unique and complementary programming on TCM and HBO Max. Cable subscribers can tune in to TCM for an extensive lineup of iconic classic films, presented by TCM hosts and joined by special guests. Starting the same day, HBO Max subscribers can navigate to the Classics Curated by TCM Hub to find even more unique and unforgettable classic movies, exclusive film discussions and interviews with special guests and TCM hosts, panels, and unique presentations brand new film introductions from our TCM hosts, and rarely seen behind-the-scenes footage.
Below is a first look at what fans can expect at the upcoming festival, with more talent and special events to be announced closer to Opening Night:
- The Masters: Iconic directors, including Rob Reiner and Mira Nair, will introduce one of their seminal films and share their personal recollections of the production.
- Tributes: The Festival recognizes a select group of individuals, including Danny Glover and Ali MacGraw, whose careers have left a lasting impact on cinema, including exclusive conversations celebrating the honoree.
- Guest Programmers: Tastemakers from different fields of expertise select and introduce their favorite films.
- Discoveries: Films, including Antwone Fisher (2002) and They Won’t Believe Me (1947), that have been forgotten or overlooked by time or changing cultural tastes that deserve to be rediscovered.
- Special Collections: Curated collections of films highlighting special themes that spotlight specific genres, eras, technical expertise, or cultures, including a focus on the L.A. Rebellion.
- Essentials: Timeless classics that have shaped generations, both past and present, and continue to influence filmmaking and culture today.
- Special Presentations: Unique presentations created by notable filmmakers and film experts which illuminate little-known and rarely seen film history.
This year’s Festival will be presented virtually and feature four days of incredible programming on TCM and within the Classics Curated By TCM Hub on HBO Max, a dedicated destination for classic movie fans within the HBO Max app.
For more information, please visit http://filmfestival.tcm.com